Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) is the expansion of Cognitive and Behavior Therapy strategies to include mindfulness, balance, acceptance and validation. DBT helps one to create a path towards a life worth living by providing necessary skills, such as: Emotion Regulation, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Distress Tolerance and Mindfulness. Individuals will begin to understand their personality traits that lead to self destructive behaviors, and learn to break the cycle by using the skills they've acquired.
Evidenced based research on DBT has been shown to:
- Enhance interpersonal relationships
- Improve ability to manage emotions and emotional crises
- Decrease self destructive behaviors (self harm, chemical dependency, and eating disorders)
DBT Associates of South Florida pre-treatment requirements:
- Initial intake interview(s) to determine eligibility and readiness for DBT skills training.
- Agreements with individual therapist and groups skills leaders, including insurance reimbursement and releases of information, reviewed and signed.
Stages of DBT treatment:
- Decreasing or eliminating life-threatening behaviors (suicide attempts, suicidal thinking, self-injury, homicidal and aggressive behaviors)
- Decreasing or eliminating therapy-interfering behaviors (missing sessions, not doing homework, behaving in a way that burns others out)
- Reducing or eliminating hospitalization as a way of handling crisis
- Decreasing behaviors that interfere with the quality of life (eating disorders, not going to work or school, addiction, chronic unemployment)
- Increasing behaviors that will enable the person to have a life worth living
- Increasing behavioral skills that help to build relationships, manage emotions and deal effectively with various life problems
- Continuing and building on Stage One skills
- Targeting and decreasing symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and other Anxiety or Depression related symptoms
- Increasing love and respect for self and others
- Affirming individual life goals
- Solving ordinary life problems
- Developing the capacity for freedom and joy
- Creating a life worth living!